Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Mass Shooting #5

A 35-year-old man has been arrested
on suspicion of walking into a Catholic church and shooting
his father-in-law in the back of the head during Mass.

Charles Richard Jennings Jr., 35, was captured 
Sunday afternoon in nearby Box Elder County
after fleeing in a stolen pickup truck,
investigators said.

Witnesses say they heard one gunshot
during the 11:30 a.m. Mass on Sunday at
Saint James the Just Catholic Church in Ogden,
and that parishioners immediately hit the floor.

The victim was taken to a hospital,
where he was listed in critical but stable condition.
His name wasn't immediately released.

Police said the victim was deliberately
targeted by the gunman
and it wasn't a random act of violence.

"We don't know the motive,"
 Ogden police Lt. Danielle Croyle
 told The Salt Lake Tribune.

"It is a domestic violence-related incident."

Parishioner Rebecca Ory Hernandez said
 the congregation was told by a priest
that the suspect and his wife had been involved
in domestic disputes.

Hernandez was sitting close to the victim
when the shooting occurred,
she said.

"The guy walked up to his father-in-law and shot him point blank in the head,"
 Hernandez told Ogden's Standard-Examiner.
"Then I ran over to the victim and pulled
 my scarf off
and put it around his head.

"He was pretty calm.
 There was so much blood...
 People were in shock
and some people were passing out.
 We have some military guys
 in our parish
and they ran out after the guy," she added.

Parishioner Leon Bedford said the victim
was sitting in a back pew with his wife
when their daughter and son-in-law
walked in holding hands
as the congregation started saying a prayer.

"Oh, it's obvious it was well planned out,"
Bedford told the Standard-Examiner.

"They came into the church hand in hand,
and he walked right up to (the victim) and pulled that trigger.

 We just hope and pray that he makes it."
Jennings is accused of stealing the truck
at gunpoint from a nearby resident
after fleeing the church.

 He was booked on charges
of attempted aggravated criminal homicide
and aggravated robbery.

Further details about the shooting
 will not be released until a news conference
Monday morning at McKay-Dee Hospital, officials said.

A family spokesperson and a police representative
will be on hand to discuss the case and status of the victim,
hospital spokesman Chris Dallin said.

No comments:

Post a Comment