Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Advice to Citizens


A reverse snowball mash up poem, featuring quotes from JamesBaldwin, Julia Gillard  Derrick A.BellFrederick Buechner, Lucy Larcom, and Wallace Stegner



I'm not interested in anybody's guilt. Guilt is a luxury that we can no longer afford

I know you didn't do it, and I didn't do it either, but I am

responsible for it because I am a man and a citizen of this country

and you are responsible for it, too, for the very same reason... Anyone

who is trying to be conscious must begin to dismiss the vocabulary

which we've used so long to cover it up, to lie…

I know reform is never easy. But I know reform

leads to enlightenment. Enlightenment opens the way to empathy.

If we are to love our neighbors, before

keeping one's self so absorbed intellectually as

 to forget the sufferings and cares

 of others, to lose sympathy

 through having too much

 to think about?

How unutterably

deprived!

No comments:

Post a Comment